Wednesday 14 July 2010

"Gathered in"

Some time ago I bought a layer cake of Japanese prints. I have always loved Japanese prints for the crispness of the indigo, and for the fun patterns. Especially the owls. Love the owls.
Having purchased the layer cake, it then sat on my shelf for a long time while I was trying to find the right kind of pattern. You know the one? The one that inspires you and shouts "YES!!!" in your mind. I know you know what I'm talking about.

This time inspiration came from Kate Conklin whose blog I was led to by my friend and quilting buddy Lisa. Kate's pattern has since been published, and her quilt adorned the front page of the most recent issue of "Quilts Down Under"
The pattern is a 'stack and slash' which I had never tried before, but which I found fun and easy to do.
(Quilters must be the only people who can talk calmly about stacking and slashing without sounding slightly psychopathic)


I am quite pleased with the final result. The photo is a little too dark, and doesn't show up the variety of the prints, but you get the idea.

I'm trying to decide whether or no to add a border to the outside of it - possibly a narrow white one - which would make the quilt bedspread size. Or I could just quilt and bind it the way it is. It will be mostly handquilted with a sashiko thread either in a dark blue to match the indigo, or in a red to bring in the reds in some of the prints.... haven't decided.

4 comments:

  1. The quilt top is just beautiful. I like the way you have put the blocks together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mari. I found your blog through Becky. I don't know how I didn't find it before. I love what you've done with my pattern! I can't wait to see how you quilt it. I'll follow you so I can keep up with what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ! That looks very nice! what about binding it in white?
    me

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message after the beep.....